I know you’ve planned a serious ‘beat-down’ for the office perker-upper… you know who I mean – the person that walks around the office every morning greeting everyone and happily encouraging you to have a ‘nice’ day. It’s tough to wake up each and every morning seizing the day with passion and marked determination, especially when all you really want to do is pull the covers over your head and catch some more “z’s”. I feel your pain and because of that, I have set out to do what any self-respecting pain-feeling blogger would do for a friend in need. I’ve assembled a list of 10 tricks to helping you wake up happy. Check them out, try them out, and if you don’t wake up bright and early with happiness in your soul within a week, switch to the night shift!
- Eat light before retiring for the night. If you’re chowing down on a double cheese burger w/ x-large fries and a diet coke (to reduce your calorie intake, of course), you’re going to find that your tummy will be a little pissed at you and will have no trouble letting you know throughout the night!
- Don’t skimp on your sleep time. If you need 8 hours, don’t try to shave 1 1/2 hours off, you’ll pay for it – or rather your co-workers and family will pay for it with your grumpy attitude. And you’ll probably be sleeping out that 6 1/2 hours on the couch till you cheer up.
- Wake up w/o assistance. The blaring sound of an alarm clock is nothing less than annoying (which is why it’s so effective). But who WANTS to wake up to that every morning. You can try a CD alarm clock or a Zen Alarm Clock which plays sounds from nature or chimes to gently lift you from your slumber.
- Smile as soon as you wake up. All I can say about this one is, “Fake it till you make it!”
- Have something to look forward to. Think about that great cup of coffee you’ll be having in about 10, 15, or 30 minutes. You could even plan to meet with friends later on in the day, just for a pow wow or perhaps, happy hour.
- Open your windows wide. Let the sunshine in (sorry, but I just couldn’t resist). There’s nothing like a little sunshine to pull you from your unconscious state.
- Have a mantra. You could say something like, “Wow! I’m awake and boy am I glad about that!” OR “It’s great to wake up to a new day full of promise.” Just pick something that makes you feel good to be awake.
- Sing a song. Personally I like the Mr. Rogers song… “It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor. Would you be mine, could you be mine, would you be my neighbor.” Boy, I’m already feeling better. You can even make up your own ‘good morning song’ and remember, this isn’t American Idol, so you don’t have to sing on key… heaven help us!
- Scream good morning to the world. You may not want to try this little tip if you have ‘company’ in your bed. In fact, depending on the thickness of your walls, you may want to amend the ‘scream’ part and settle for ‘say’.
- Keep items of beauty by your bed. Perhaps you like colorful flowers or paintings. Some people keep photos of family members or pets. Whatever makes you happy when you look at it… put it right by your bed side, so that when you wake up, it’ll be the first thing you see.
Waking up happy can be difficult for even the greatest optimists. There is always hope though and as you continue to practice happiness, it’ll get easier and easier to BE happy.