No, this is not a post on cool Auto-mechanic tips! This is the ‘meat-n-potatoes’ (pardon the pun) of getting rid of that belly fat that has plagued you for years. You’ve probably had it for as long as you can remember… those golden days of high school, the emancipating years of college, even early into your adulthood – you’ve always had your steady friend, the Spare Tire. Well, no more. Nothing lasts forever and considering the health and psychological detriment this ‘friend’ has caused over the years, I think it’s time we gave that hunk of burning fat it’s walking papers.
I know, I know, I know. You wear your belly fat as a badge of honor for all the delicious and hearty meals you’ve eaten over your lifetime. You accessorize it (the belly fat, that is) with all kinds of trendy belts and scarves. You even slip that sucker into a bathing suit every once in a while, and why shouldn’t you? Is it because your belly fat ‘friend’ increases your chances of getting diabetes? Or is it because your belly fat ‘friend’ increases your chances of heart attack? Perhaps, it’s because your belly fat ‘friend’ sometimes causes you embarrassment. Maybe it’s all three and a host of additional major health related issues. You’ve worked hard to get that belly fat and you’re going to have to work extra hard to get rid of it. It’ll be worth it though, because not only will you be healthier, you’ll be smokin’ hot!
More than likely, you have attempted to get rid of your spare tire. You’ve exercised, you’ve dieted, you’ve done surgery, you’ve prayed and begged and pleaded with the big guy upstairs… to no avail. So I guess you’ve realized that belly fat is one of the hardest spots to affect. Why is that? Glad you asked. Belly fat is a combination of poor diet, sedentary lifestyle, and genes. The last one, can’t do a thing about, but, good news… the first two are in the bag.
Diet & Exercise
Now here’s where I can bore you with all the talk about glycemic indices and metabolic changes in ones system when ingesting all forms of fattening foods… but I’ll spare all of us that little piece. The bottom line is, nothing can live if it’s not fed. Thus your belly fat is being fed. Fed by what? Once again, I’m glad you asked. Let’s take a walk through a hypothetical day of Mr. Belly Fat.
- Morning – Mr. Belly Fat wakes up and does one of two things: he either inhales the coffee (with sugar & cream) and donut or other pastry; or he eats absolutely nothing (thinking this is going to get him on the path to belly fat loser-ville) not so.
- Mid-Morning – Mr. Belly Fat is in his office and does one of two things: he either steamrolls down to the coffee shop, grill, or convenience store for his mid-morning snack (or picker-upper)- this usually consists of a muffin, omelet, etc.; or he eats absolutely nothing (thinking this is going to get him on the path to belly fat loser-ville) not so.
- Lunch – Wooo hoooo! Now this is where it all hits the fan (not that it didn’t already). Mr. Belly Fat decides that since he’s been so good all morning (this is the ‘eats absolutely nothing’ belly fat), he deserves to go the extra mile with lunch, so he devours a steak w/ potatoes and lightly steamed veggies (because he’s dieting, couldn’t you tell?); or Mr. Belly Fat opts for a leafy green salad because he’s had so many fatty foods in the morning, he must redeem himself.
- Mid-Afternoon – Mr. Belly Fat is on his downward spiral and needs another picker-upper. He does one of two things: He picks up a piece of fruit from the nearest convenience store; or he opts for another coffee, just to make it through till he gets home.
- Dinner – Mr. Belly Fat decides to really make an effort to not go overboard with the last meal of the day and does one of two things: He eats a portion of the leftover pot roast in the fridge w/ lightly steamed veggies (because he’s dieting, couldn’t you tell?); or he goes to bed without eating dinner (thinking this is going to get him on the path to belly fat loser-ville) not so.
This is how belly fat is fed. The choices made with regard to what is eaten and when absolutely creates and maintains this unhealthy state. Did you see any form of exercise in Mr. Belly Fat’s day? Perhaps when he walked from his office to the convenience store and back… yeah, that’s exercise! There is no question why and how belly fat remains, it’s being fed. You may wonder how belly fat remains with just one meal a day (like Mr. Belly Fat who ate only lunch) – once again, I could bore you to tears with the hard facts of how fat cells work, ecetera, ecetera… but I’ll spare us all that little piece. Your body’s not stupid, if it sees that it’s not getting what it needs to survive, it’ll hold on to what it has and not let go. Sure, it’ll eat away at toxins and other unwanted residents, but starvation is probably the worst way to induce weight loss.
Let’s move on to how to deflate the spare tire now that it’s set up shop in your gut. Here are some really cool tips on diet and exercise that will help you trade in that keg for a six pack.
- Diet – No, don’t go on a diet, change your diet. Start the old switch-r-roo from coffee and pastries in the morning to a more balanced and detoxifying eating style. This will take some practice but you can do it. You’ll want to work on your percentages. For example of 100% of your meals for the day you’ll do something like this: 35% lean protein (beans, nuts, tofu, and plenty of leafy green veggies), 35% high fiber carbohydrates (flax, mustard greens, avocado, collard greens, spinach, broccoli, blackberries, zucchini squash, & strawberries), 30% healthy fats (flax seed, olive oil, most nuts, avocado, olives, most seeds).
- Exercise – Yeah baby, you’ve got to burn that sucker off. Instead of choosing to jog everyday for 30 minutes a day, why not mix it up a little? Try 3-5 times a week with a varied bag of exercise choices (swimming, walking, jogging, pilates). These exercises, when combined attack the whole body, not just the belly fat, which in turn will create a more harmonious weight loss effort.
- Mental Constitution – Get your mind right! You’ve got to let go of the stresses and embrace a more relaxed approach. For some, when they get stressed out, they eat and they eat and they eat. What does that equate to? You’ve got it. Belly Fat, in fact, it equates to ‘All Over Fat’, not just in the belly. So attempt to reduce the stress in your life by perhaps employing meditation, massage, visualization, prayer, whatever works for you.
You are well aware that your belly fat is not doing you any favors by just hanging on. You know that if you are to lead a healthy life, it’s got to go. So, get on the road to getting it gone.
Let me know what you think of this post by leaving me a comment. Thanks.